Friday, August 1, 2008

Divine Healing

Divine Healing
Margaret D. Mitchell
Hebrews 13:8  -Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
One day, when I was working as a flight attendant, a male passenger stopped me and asked for a bag of ice.  His face appeared distressed, and I could see that he was in pain.  I asked him what was the matter, and he said that he had just had knee surgery and that he had run out of pain medicine.  At that moment, I knew that God had put me in this man's path for a purpose.  So I promptly walked into the galley, scooped a bunch of ice into a plastic bag, spun the top around and lifted it up to God.  I asked God to take away the man's pain and to heal his knee expeditiously.  Then I gave the makeshift ice pack to the man and continued to serve surrounding passengers. 
I kept an eye on the man, and after I finished my service, I approached him again.  I could tell from the look on his face that he was still hurting.  Indeed, he confirmed that some of the pain was gone, but not all.  He explained that he had experienced several injuries and surgeries on his knee from playing years of tennis. 
As I stood in the aisle listening to this man's story, I felt a righteous indignation rise up in me.  I simply could not stand to see him in pain.  And I felt strongly compelled by the Holy Spirit to pray for this man.  So I asked him if I might do so.  I believe it was out of sheer desperation that he agreed.  So he removed the ice pack, and I knelt in the aisle, right in first class, which was full of on looking passengers.  I began to pray softly, out loud.  I was uncomfortable with everyone staring, but I continued to pray because I knew I was to step up, be bold, share the heart of Jesus and do what Jesus would have done for this man according to the gospels. 
When I finished praying, I looked up at the man, and I asked Him how his knee felt.  He slowly opened his eyes and smiled carefully.  Then a surprised look appeared across his face, and he said quietly, "All the pain is gone."  He smiled big, and he asked me if it was magic.  I shared with him it was the healing power of God and that the Father of the universe loved him with an everlasting love so great that He didn't want him to hurt anymore.  The man's eyes began to well up with tears.  And I asked him whether he knew Jesus.  He replied thathe was "a non-practicing Methodist."  As I began to explain to him about having a personal relationship with Jesus, I wondered whether this man had anyone else to pray for him.  Just the thought of the possibility that he might not broke my heart, and I was reminded, once again, that my higher purpose in my workplace was to reach out to others with the heart of Jesus.
What a perfect mission field our workplaces are!  When we consider that fulltime workers spend at least 50% of their waking hours on the job, it makes sense that we Christians are to show up for more than a paycheck.   The miracle of healing is one way Jesus demonstrated His love for others and boosted their faith throughout the gospels, and He still does today.  Hebrews 13:8 tells us that God is the same yesterday, today and forever.  Healing opportunities abound, and they are not all physical.  Sometimes they are emotional or spiritual. 
Ask the Lord to show you who among you is in need of healing, and ask Him to enable you to meet that need through His healing power.  You could find that the people He identifies may not have anyone else praying for them.

No comments: